Saturday, December 31, 2011

Reflecting on Christmas 2011

I've searched since Christmas evening for my camera... to no avail.  So, I still can't post the pictures of the other gifts I made.  I can tell you, though, that I believe everyone liked what they received!  I think a couple of my favorite moments this Christmas were when my cousin, Joanna, and Will's sister, Heather, opened their gifts.  They both received personalized glass pendent necklaces with pictures of their children.  I made my little brother, Shane, a t-shirt to express my disdain for his love of Chevy trucks.  He was not in the least bit impressed (which just made it all the more fun for me :)).  

My Christmases have always been so special.  I think that comes from having the most awesome parents in the world.  This year was no different.  I'm going to share a little secret about my mom... she's amazing.  Well, that's not the secret, everyone knows that.  The secret is that she is like the real-life Santa, or motherly version of such.  She shops year round to make sure her 9 children/spouses, her grandchildren, her foster children, her foster-grandchildren, nieces/nephews, my Dad, my Mamaw, people from their church, and her friends have presents every Christmas.  It's something she and Dad have always done. I remember her running out last minute to go get "a little something" if she found out someone was in need.  This year, she brought tears to my eyes when she stopped to at her Amish neighbors to see what each of the little ones had picked out with the $10 she gave them for Christmas.  The whole thing just put so much into perspective...  To a lot of kids, ten bucks would not have been a big deal.  But, these little rosy-cheeked babies acted like they had won the lottery!  And, there are 10 of them.  I think that's the part that hit me.  $10 each for 10 kids out of nothing but love.  My parents are not rich by any means, but are blessed beyond measure because of their kindness to others.  I love them so much!  And, I hope to teach my boys to have a giving spirit like my Mother continues to teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment