Sunday, January 29, 2012

Winter Vacation: Trees in South Carolina

We made home safely a few hours ago.  I just couldn't wait to get on here and talk about my trip.  It was such a relaxing (and much needed) get-away to one of the most beautiful places this side of Heaven, I'm sure!  If you've never visited the "lowcountry" islands of SC, please do!  It's like taking a step back in time... a true reflection of God's beauty.  As a family, we have vacationed in the mountains, at lakes, and at the beach. Yet, I have never had an experience like this past week at Edisto Island, with trips to James Island, Johns Island, and Hunting Island.  I'm going to share some of my pictures, but trust me- they do not do justice to these spectacular places!
I took these on the first day we arrived on Edisto Beach.  Our condo was located on the marsh side of the island, but near the corner where the river and ocean met.  The only stores on the island were a convenient/gas station, 2 locally owned craft/gift shops, and a Piggly Wiggly.   
To say it is a small island would be a great understatement.  To me, this only added to the charm.  
The locals have worked very hard to maintain the laid-back, quiet town living of the island.  And, in January, you can walk along the beach for hours and have the only footprints in the sand!  


Hi, my name's Amanda and I'm a tree-aholic.  I LOVE trees.  And, I certainly got my fix this week!  The live oaks growing down in coastal South Carolina amazed me.  The first picture here was taken on Jungle Road, Edisto Island.  The second (my favorite of all my pictures) was taken on Botany Bay Road, just past the Allen AME Church and Cemetery.  And, the third oak was on Eddington Beach Road.  Every where I looked, I saw trees I wanted to photograph.  But, after 330 pictures, I thought about slowing down.
But, then we went to Johns Island...


This is "Angel Oak."  She is beautiful!  And, she is magnificent!


She is 300-400 years old.  65 ft. high, 25.5 ft around, and provides 17,000 sq. ft. of shade.
I love this tree!!!  I took many, many pictures. 

These were a few more of my favorite trees.  In all my visits to the beach, I had never seen trees growing in the water.  (I know, it's the little things that get me!)  I fell in love with the beach and trees at Botany Bay.

Apparently, it's custom to hang some of the pretty shells in the trees. 
 As to not disrespect their custom, I had a great time decorating beach trees with seashells.


I promise to tell about more of my vacation than about the trees.  

This is odd, but one of Mom's favorite pictures.  I have to admit, it's one of mine too.

I took this while on one of our "tree hunting" trips.  It was on Point of Pines Road.  I had just finished reading the history of the island (And I'm Glad: An Oral History of Edisto Island), and this house gave me a chill.  We passed it on the way up the road and Mom said, "We need a picture of that!"  I told her I was just thinking the same thing.  And, it turned out to be one of our favorites.  
I'm sure you'll hear more about the history of this place, as I am still so excited about the experience!

The beach was lovely!  And, I'll have more pictures :)
I also have enough drift wood from the beach to make a cool little project, so I'll post some pics of that as it goes.  But, for now, I'm thankful to have made it home safely with some time to spend with my boys... this was my first vacation without them in FOREVER and I've missed them terribly.

I am very thankful that I was blessed with wonderful weather, gorgeous scenery,  history lessons, safe travel, and quality time with my mom and dad.  They are the world's greatest.

No comments:

Post a Comment